All about chairs at the moment in my house. This is the before picture, a chair for my sewing room from Savers for $5.
Tilli yesterday in the sewing room.
Chair being taken apart.
Chair back finished. The owls have been appliqued on the top and blanket stitched on and the segments sewn with black thread to make them pop.
All the fabrics were from Spotlight. My daughter chose them. The owls have been fussy cut from furnishing fabric, the fabrics are all cotton. The egg blue is curtaining fabric, so is the one with the stripes. the green with white dots and the one with two tone fabric were from the quilting section. Both the seat and the back rest will be made in the same way. My daughter loves owls.
My chair is still evolving. The flower buttons are recovered large buttons with knitted petals.
This is the back so far, I need to get more tacks to add the decorative buttons on the back. These were made using teddy bear wooden discs covered with fabric.
I just had a lovely thought. Spotlight has a competition running at the moment. Saturday 4th October I was thinking that what a wonderful way to spread the word about Aussie Heroes if all of us quilters made an Aussie Hero quilt and entered. Great advertising!
I forgot to take a before picture, This chair I picked up from the nature strip and was black all over and I decided to make a new seat and back rest cover for it.
This is my lounge room chair so far. The buttons on the back are just temporary. The final buttons will be different shapes and sizes and will have Suffolk puffs (yo yo's) behind them. The front is almost finished. I am going to add a pocket on the front arm rest for scissors in the shape of a flower pot in orange (I am thinking of getting a plastic cup and cutting it in half and ladder stitch it into place). I am also going to add a flower shaped pincushion on the arm rest too.
A close up of the blanket binding used to cover the piping with.
All around the seams I am going to add a decorative blanket stitch using embroidery wools from Savers.
Remember my chair that I bought on ebay a couple of weeks ago? This is Meggie sitting on the back, headrest just before I took the chair apart.
This is the fabric selections I am using to recover the chair with. 100% Australian wool blankets and woolen fabric all from Savers. The total cost of the chair re make is $20.
Tilli helping me with the fabric placements.
Using the original covers for the patterns.
Ready to cut.
Cut out and pinned ready to sew.
I have used the silk blanket edging to re cover the top piping.
This is the sides of the chair, back view.
Front of the chair sides. I will hand sew this on and then add the decorations after. They will have blanket stitch all around using wools from Savers too.
This is the seat and head rest stapled and ready to sew.
This is the seat part. Ever since I did the chairs for the school I have always wanted to make one for myself. This can only go one of 2 ways, totally cool or really really ugly! either way it will be my own.