Sunday, October 30, 2011


This is a picture of my two sons and myself in our Halloween costumes.
From left to right, Zombie Brain Surgeon, Steam Punk, and Sub Zero from Mortal Kombat.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Tapestry Bag

I have been absent from my blog for a while, Busy working with my sons' Halloween project. He does not want step by step blogged about so this is another project I have been working on. Making a bag. This bag style is a take on the tapestry/Gladstone bag using available materials. This wine rack from Savers I have taken apart for the parts and will be the closure for the bag and the handles.
This is the parts of the assembled wine rack, scissors glue and leather to make the closure.
The leather has been glued to hold it all together on the corners and the centre of the moveable hinges are made so that it opens up flat one way only.
Materials used are curtains that my niece gave me when they redecorated. I will be making teddy bears with this fabric too. The wrong side of the fabric is used for the right sides of the bag, I just love the colourway. I have used the lining of the fabric for the lining of the bag.
The centre hinges.
A simple bag on the way to being made. All the sides are the same height and it is lined with a hard plastic bottom insert between the layers. It is just pinned at the moment.

It will have leather straps cut from the boots I bought from Savers for my Halloween costume, and I will make handles from the wine rack too.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011


I have decided on fabric covered buttons. Sleeves and collar are finished, working on the bag and gloves.

Monday, October 10, 2011


This was an impulse buy from Savers, I find it hard not to buy wool or go past the colour purple so I bought it. I do however have a use for it. I am going to make myself some fingerless/wrist warmers and a bag to go with my Halloween outfit. It tones perfectly with the ruffles on the coat.


Adding the sleeves and frills. The purple fabric is what i had been given to me from my daughter a couple of years ago. It is purple shimmery fabric that is crumpled and has embroidery throughout. Just the perfect amount for the sleeves and the neck frills. (My favourite colour is purple).

Spats have been made for the boots using this tutorial I found on the net. leather from a coat sleeve and the boots were from Savers. Click on the picture to be taken to the blog for the pattern and tutorial.

Saturday, October 8, 2011


Steampunk goggles from things I had and glasses from Savers. To make these I used two stack able bead holders for the lens, wire framed glasses with the arms taken off and the lens removed, double sided tape, copper coloured paper, 2 black rubber washers, leather and accessories.
First I prepared the lenses. Fold the copper coloured paper the size of the double sided tape so that no raw edges of the paper are there. Wrap around the tape around the edge of the bead pot.

I then cut the arms off a pair of glasses I got from Savers. Screw the opts where the lenses were. I then wrapped the centre of the glasses with copper wire.

Lastly I added the details. Black rubber washers and to hold the leather strap i super glued copper handbag clasps. and then placed it onto the hat. The last step is to glue the strap into place and snip the ends the same size. Total cost. $1.50 for the glass frames. The rest is bits and pieces I had already.


I am working on the coat right now, It needs to be pressed and the sleeves and ruffles added. This is right sides out with slanted pockets. The umbrella is finished.
The inner front lining is a different colour because I did not have enough of the original fabric, I like it.

Thursday, October 6, 2011


Getting rid of the plastic look on the umbrella by covering the handle, the top of the umbrella and the umbrella tips with leather. The way i have done it is the same for all pieces. First make the end covering by cutting out a circle larger than the piece you want to cover. Make notches and cut them out to eliminate bulk. These tabs will then be glued onto the umbrella.
First glue the top on. then flue the tabs down.
Using your leather strip, wind and glue into place all the way around. Stretching the leather tight as you go.
When you reach the end, glue it into place.
I have covered the glue on the top end of the handle with a strip of thin leather just coiled around it gives a nice finish.

The same method has been used for the umbrella point.
Also repeat these steps for the umbrella arms. Before.